Showing
2126 - 2150 of 3770 Records
Lower Guangsheng Temple, back hall (or Daxiong Bodian), interior
- Title Translation: å¹æčäøåÆŗ , åę®æ (å³å¤§éå®ę®æ), å éØ
- Period: Eastern Han, Yuan, 147 C.E., 1271-1368 C.E.
- Project: Guangsheng Temple Murals
- Work Description: The lower temple is made up by the temple gate, front hall, back hall (or Daxiong Temple), the buttress hall and other buildings that were all built in the Yuan Dynasty. The temple gate is rather high. It is 3-bay wide and 3-bay long with single-eaved gable and hip roof. Canopies added to the front and back eaves make it like a pavilion with double eaves. The front hall is five-bay wide with only two pillars supporting the whole hall. The back hall (or Daxiong Temple) was built in the second year (1309) of the Zhida reign of the Yuan Dynasty. It is 7-bay wide with 9 purlins, 8 rafters and a single-eaved overhanging gable roof. The main statues in the hall are Amitabha Buddha, Sakyamuni Buddha, Bhaisajyaguru Buddha, Manjusri Bodhisattva, and Samantabhadra Bodhisattva. They were all made in the Yuan Dynasty. Murals were once covered on the walls, but they were removed and shipped to the United States in 1928. The mural on the south wall recorded the performance of Yuan Drama. It is rare reference material for study on Chinese dramas.
Lower Guangsheng Temple, back hall (or Daxiong Bodian), interior
- Title Translation: å¹æčäøåÆŗ , åę®æ (å³å¤§éå®ę®æ), å éØ
- Period: Eastern Han, Yuan, 147 C.E., 1271-1368 C.E.
- Project: Guangsheng Temple Murals
- Work Description: The lower temple is made up by the temple gate, front hall, back hall (or Daxiong Temple), the buttress hall and other buildings that were all built in the Yuan Dynasty. The temple gate is rather high. It is 3-bay wide and 3-bay long with single-eaved gable and hip roof. Canopies added to the front and back eaves make it like a pavilion with double eaves. The front hall is five-bay wide with only two pillars supporting the whole hall. The back hall (or Daxiong Temple) was built in the second year (1309) of the Zhida reign of the Yuan Dynasty. It is 7-bay wide with 9 purlins, 8 rafters and a single-eaved overhanging gable roof. The main statues in the hall are Amitabha Buddha, Sakyamuni Buddha, Bhaisajyaguru Buddha, Manjusri Bodhisattva, and Samantabhadra Bodhisattva. They were all made in the Yuan Dynasty. Murals were once covered on the walls, but they were removed and shipped to the United States in 1928. The mural on the south wall recorded the performance of Yuan Drama. It is rare reference material for study on Chinese dramas.
Water God's Temple (Shuishen Temple) of the Guangsheng Monastery, courtyard
- Title Translation: å¹æčåÆŗę°“ē„åŗ , åŗé¢
- Period: Eastern Han, Ming, 147 C.E., 1368-1644 C.E.
- Project: Guangsheng Temple Murals
- Work Description: The Water God's Temple has two yards: the front yard and the back yard, and includes the Temple Gate, the Door of Amenity, the Ming Ying King Hall and wing-rooms of cave dwellings. The Ming Ying King Hall is 5-bay wide and 5-bay long with a cloister around and a double-eaved gable hip roof. Beams inside are of common style. The hall houses statues of Water God Ming Ying King and his eleven attendants. Their facial features, clothes and gestures are all of Yuan style. Frescoes about people praying for the rain and other historical stories covered the walls, occupying an area of 197 square meters. The pictures of dramas at the eastern end of the south wall show a complete set of stage property for the performers: costumes, stage instruments, musical instruments, makeup, curtain, stage, and so on. The drawing was strictly arranged, the color was simple but profound, and dramatis personae were expressive. This fresco reflects the true condition of Yuan Drama in its peak time; it is a rare fine work of Yuan frescoes in China.
Lower Guangsheng Temple, front hall (or former Buddha's Temple), interior
- Title Translation: å¹æčäøåÆŗ , åę®æ(ęåä½åÆŗ)ćå éØ
- Period: Eastern Han, Yuan, 147 C.E., 1271-1368 C.E.
- Project: Guangsheng Temple Murals
- Work Description: The lower temple is made up by the temple gate, front hall, back hall (or Daxiong Temple), the buttress hall and other buildings that were all built in the Yuan Dynasty. The temple gate is rather high. It is 3-bay wide and 3-bay long with single-eaved gable and hip roof. Canopies added to the front and back eaves make it like a pavilion with double eaves. The front hall is five-bay wide with only two pillars supporting the whole hall. The back hall (or Daxiong Temple) was built in the second year (1309) of the Zhida reign of the Yuan Dynasty. It is 7-bay wide with 9 purlins, 8 rafters and a single-eaved overhanging gable roof. The main statues in the hall are Amitabha Buddha, Sakyamuni Buddha, Bhaisajyaguru Buddha, Manjusri Bodhisattva, and Samantabhadra Bodhisattva. They were all made in the Yuan Dynasty. Murals were once covered on the walls, but they were removed and shipped to the United States in 1928. The mural on the south wall recorded the performance of Yuan Drama. It is rare reference material for study on Chinese dramas.
Upper Guangsheng Temple, Flying Rainbow Tower (or Feihong Pagoda)
- Title Translation: å¹æčäøåÆŗ , é£č¹å”
- Period: Eastern Han, Ming, 147 C.E., 1368-1644 C.E.
- Project: Guangsheng Temple Murals
- Work Description: The upper temple complex comprises the mountain gate, the Flying Rainbow Tower, the Amitabha Hall, the Great Hall, the Vairochana Hall, the Kwan-yin Hall, the Ksitigarbha Hall, as well as wing-rooms and corridors, among other features. The Mountain Gate, situated at the entrance, is flanked by two guardian warriors. Just beyond the gate stands the impressive Flying Rainbow Tower, constructed from colored glaze bricks. Originally built during the Eastern Han Dynasty (25-220) and later restored in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), this thirteen-story tower soars to a height of 47.31 meters, featuring an octagonal plan. The tower is adorned with tri-colored glaze in yellow, green, and blue, creating a splendid and vibrant spectacle. Elaborate wooden square blocks and intricately carved designs of Buddha, Bodhisattvas, guardian warriors, flowers, birds, and animals adorn the eaves and pillars. Corridors encircle the first story, while the towerās interior houses only the stairs leading to the tenth floor, showcasing remarkable architectural and artistic prowess.
Water God's Temple (Shuishen Temple) of the Guangsheng Monastery, Ming Ying King Hall (or Mingyingwang Temple), exterior
- Title Translation: å¹æčåÆŗę°“ē„åŗ , ęåŗēę®æ, å¤éØ
- Period: Eastern Han, Ming, 147 C.E., 1368-1644 C.E.
- Project: Guangsheng Temple Murals
- Work Description: The Water God's Temple has two yards: the front yard and the back yard, and includes the Temple Gate, the Door of Amenity, the Ming Ying King Hall and wing-rooms of cave dwellings. The Ming Ying King Hall is 5-bay wide and 5-bay long with a cloister around and a double-eaved gable hip roof. Beams inside are of common style. The hall houses statues of Water God Ming Ying King and his eleven attendants. Their facial features, clothes and gestures are all of Yuan style. Frescoes about people praying for the rain and other historical stories covered the walls, occupying an area of 197 square meters. The pictures of dramas at the eastern end of the south wall show a complete set of stage property for the performers: costumes, stage instruments, musical instruments, makeup, curtain, stage, and so on. The drawing was strictly arranged, the color was simple but profound, and dramatis personae were expressive. This fresco reflects the true condition of Yuan Drama in its peak time; it is a rare fine work of Yuan frescoes in China.
Water God's Temple (Shuishen Temple) of the Guangsheng Monastery, Ming Ying King Hall (or Mingyingwang Temple), entrance
- Title Translation: å¹æčåÆŗę°“ē„åŗ , ęåŗēę®æ, å „å£
- Period: Eastern Han, Ming, 147 C.E., 1368-1644 C.E.
- Project: Guangsheng Temple Murals
- Work Description: The Water God's Temple has two yards: the front yard and the back yard, and includes the Temple Gate, the Door of Amenity, the Ming Ying King Hall and wing-rooms of cave dwellings. The Ming Ying King Hall is 5-bay wide and 5-bay long with a cloister around and a double-eaved gable hip roof. Beams inside are of common style. The hall houses statues of Water God Ming Ying King and his eleven attendants. Their facial features, clothes and gestures are all of Yuan style. Frescoes about people praying for the rain and other historical stories covered the walls, occupying an area of 197 square meters. The pictures of dramas at the eastern end of the south wall show a complete set of stage property for the performers: costumes, stage instruments, musical instruments, makeup, curtain, stage, and so on. The drawing was strictly arranged, the color was simple but profound, and dramatis personae were expressive. This fresco reflects the true condition of Yuan Drama in its peak time; it is a rare fine work of Yuan frescoes in China.
Upper Guangsheng Temple, Amitabha Hall (or Mito Hall), seated Buddha
- Title Translation: å¹æčäøåÆŗ , éæ弄éå , åä½
- Period: Eastern Han, Ming, 147 C.E., 1368-1644 C.E.
- Project: Guangsheng Temple Murals
- Work Description: The upper temple complex comprises the mountain gate, the Flying Rainbow Tower, the Amitabha Hall, the Great Hall, the Vairochana Hall, the Kwan-yin Hall, the Ksitigarbha Hall, as well as wing-rooms and corridors, among other features. The Mountain Gate, situated at the entrance, is flanked by two guardian warriors. Just beyond the gate stands the impressive Flying Rainbow Tower, constructed from colored glaze bricks. Originally built during the Eastern Han Dynasty (25-220) and later restored in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), this thirteen-story tower soars to a height of 47.31 meters, featuring an octagonal plan. The tower is adorned with tri-colored glaze in yellow, green, and blue, creating a splendid and vibrant spectacle. Elaborate wooden square blocks and intricately carved designs of Buddha, Bodhisattvas, guardian warriors, flowers, birds, and animals adorn the eaves and pillars. Corridors encircle the first story, while the towerās interior houses only the stairs leading to the tenth floor, showcasing remarkable architectural and artistic prowess.
Upper Guangsheng Temple, Vairocana Hall (or Pilu Temple or Tianzhongtian Temple) and incense burner
- Title Translation: å¹æčäøåÆŗ , ęÆå¢ę®æļ¼ęęÆå¢åÆŗę天äø天åÆŗļ¼åé¦ē
- Period: Eastern Han, Ming, 147 C.E., 1368-1644 C.E.
- Project: Guangsheng Temple Murals
- Work Description: The upper temple complex comprises the mountain gate, the Flying Rainbow Tower, the Amitabha Hall, the Great Hall, the Vairochana Hall, the Kwan-yin Hall, the Ksitigarbha Hall, as well as wing-rooms and corridors, among other features. The Mountain Gate, situated at the entrance, is flanked by two guardian warriors. Just beyond the gate stands the impressive Flying Rainbow Tower, constructed from colored glaze bricks. Originally built during the Eastern Han Dynasty (25-220) and later restored in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), this thirteen-story tower soars to a height of 47.31 meters, featuring an octagonal plan. The tower is adorned with tri-colored glaze in yellow, green, and blue, creating a splendid and vibrant spectacle. Elaborate wooden square blocks and intricately carved designs of Buddha, Bodhisattvas, guardian warriors, flowers, birds, and animals adorn the eaves and pillars. Corridors encircle the first story, while the towerās interior houses only the stairs leading to the tenth floor, showcasing remarkable architectural and artistic prowess.
Water God's Temple (Shuishen Temple) of the Guangsheng Monastery, Ming Ying King Hall (or Mingyingwang Temple), fresco
- Title Translation: å¹æčåÆŗę°“ē„åŗ , ęåŗēę®æ, å£ē»
- Period: Eastern Han, Ming, 147 C.E., 1368-1644 C.E.
- Project: Guangsheng Temple Murals
- Work Description: The Water God's Temple has two yards: the front yard and the back yard, and includes the Temple Gate, the Door of Amenity, the Ming Ying King Hall and wing-rooms of cave dwellings. The Ming Ying King Hall is 5-bay wide and 5-bay long with a cloister around and a double-eaved gable hip roof. Beams inside are of common style. The hall houses statues of Water God Ming Ying King and his eleven attendants. Their facial features, clothes and gestures are all of Yuan style. Frescoes about people praying for the rain and other historical stories covered the walls, occupying an area of 197 square meters. The pictures of dramas at the eastern end of the south wall show a complete set of stage property for the performers: costumes, stage instruments, musical instruments, makeup, curtain, stage, and so on. The drawing was strictly arranged, the color was simple but profound, and dramatis personae were expressive. This fresco reflects the true condition of Yuan Drama in its peak time; it is a rare fine work of Yuan frescoes in China.
Upper Guangsheng Temple, Vairocana Hall (or Pilu Temple or Tianzhongtian Temple), Buddha Triad
- Title Translation: å¹æčäøåÆŗ , ęÆå¢ę®æļ¼ęęÆå¢åÆŗę天äø天åÆŗļ¼, ä½äøå°
- Period: Eastern Han, Ming, 147 C.E., 1368-1644 C.E.
- Project: Guangsheng Temple Murals
- Work Description: The upper temple complex comprises the mountain gate, the Flying Rainbow Tower, the Amitabha Hall, the Great Hall, the Vairochana Hall, the Kwan-yin Hall, the Ksitigarbha Hall, as well as wing-rooms and corridors, among other features. The Mountain Gate, situated at the entrance, is flanked by two guardian warriors. Just beyond the gate stands the impressive Flying Rainbow Tower, constructed from colored glaze bricks. Originally built during the Eastern Han Dynasty (25-220) and later restored in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), this thirteen-story tower soars to a height of 47.31 meters, featuring an octagonal plan. The tower is adorned with tri-colored glaze in yellow, green, and blue, creating a splendid and vibrant spectacle. Elaborate wooden square blocks and intricately carved designs of Buddha, Bodhisattvas, guardian warriors, flowers, birds, and animals adorn the eaves and pillars. Corridors encircle the first story, while the towerās interior houses only the stairs leading to the tenth floor, showcasing remarkable architectural and artistic prowess.
Water God's Temple (Shuishen Temple) of the Guangsheng Monastery, exterior
- Title Translation: å¹æčåÆŗę°“ē„åŗ , å¤éØ
- Period: Eastern Han, Ming, 147 C.E., 1368-1644 C.E.
- Project: Guangsheng Temple Murals
- Work Description: The Water God's Temple has two yards: the front yard and the back yard, and includes the Temple Gate, the Door of Amenity, the Ming Ying King Hall and wing-rooms of cave dwellings. The Ming Ying King Hall is 5-bay wide and 5-bay long with a cloister around and a double-eaved gable hip roof. Beams inside are of common style. The hall houses statues of Water God Ming Ying King and his eleven attendants. Their facial features, clothes and gestures are all of Yuan style. Frescoes about people praying for the rain and other historical stories covered the walls, occupying an area of 197 square meters. The pictures of dramas at the eastern end of the south wall show a complete set of stage property for the performers: costumes, stage instruments, musical instruments, makeup, curtain, stage, and so on. The drawing was strictly arranged, the color was simple but profound, and dramatis personae were expressive. This fresco reflects the true condition of Yuan Drama in its peak time; it is a rare fine work of Yuan frescoes in China.
Water God's Temple (Shuishen Temple) of the Guangsheng Monastery, Ming Ying King Hall (or Mingyingwang Temple), faƧade
- Title Translation: å¹æčåÆŗę°“ē„åŗ , ęåŗēę®æ, ę£é¢
- Period: Eastern Han, Ming, 147 C.E., 1368-1644 C.E.
- Project: Guangsheng Temple Murals
- Work Description: The Water God's Temple has two yards: the front yard and the back yard, and includes the Temple Gate, the Door of Amenity, the Ming Ying King Hall and wing-rooms of cave dwellings. The Ming Ying King Hall is 5-bay wide and 5-bay long with a cloister around and a double-eaved gable hip roof. Beams inside are of common style. The hall houses statues of Water God Ming Ying King and his eleven attendants. Their facial features, clothes and gestures are all of Yuan style. Frescoes about people praying for the rain and other historical stories covered the walls, occupying an area of 197 square meters. The pictures of dramas at the eastern end of the south wall show a complete set of stage property for the performers: costumes, stage instruments, musical instruments, makeup, curtain, stage, and so on. The drawing was strictly arranged, the color was simple but profound, and dramatis personae were expressive. This fresco reflects the true condition of Yuan Drama in its peak time; it is a rare fine work of Yuan frescoes in China.
Upper Guangsheng Temple, Sakyamuni Hall (or Daxiong Bodian), interior
- Title Translation: å¹æčäøåÆŗ , 大éå®ę®æ, å éØ
- Period: Eastern Han, Ming, 147 C.E., 1368-1644 C.E.
- Project: Guangsheng Temple Murals
- Work Description: The upper temple complex comprises the mountain gate, the Flying Rainbow Tower, the Amitabha Hall, the Great Hall, the Vairochana Hall, the Kwan-yin Hall, the Ksitigarbha Hall, as well as wing-rooms and corridors, among other features. The Mountain Gate, situated at the entrance, is flanked by two guardian warriors. Just beyond the gate stands the impressive Flying Rainbow Tower, constructed from colored glaze bricks. Originally built during the Eastern Han Dynasty (25-220) and later restored in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), this thirteen-story tower soars to a height of 47.31 meters, featuring an octagonal plan. The tower is adorned with tri-colored glaze in yellow, green, and blue, creating a splendid and vibrant spectacle. Elaborate wooden square blocks and intricately carved designs of Buddha, Bodhisattvas, guardian warriors, flowers, birds, and animals adorn the eaves and pillars. Corridors encircle the first story, while the towerās interior houses only the stairs leading to the tenth floor, showcasing remarkable architectural and artistic prowess.
Upper Guangsheng Temple, exterior
- Title Translation: å¹æčäøåÆŗ , å¤éØ
- Period: Eastern Han, Ming, 147 C.E., 1368-1644 C.E.
- Project: Guangsheng Temple Murals
- Work Description: The upper temple complex comprises the mountain gate, the Flying Rainbow Tower, the Amitabha Hall, the Great Hall, the Vairochana Hall, the Kwan-yin Hall, the Ksitigarbha Hall, as well as wing-rooms and corridors, among other features. The Mountain Gate, situated at the entrance, is flanked by two guardian warriors. Just beyond the gate stands the impressive Flying Rainbow Tower, constructed from colored glaze bricks. Originally built during the Eastern Han Dynasty (25-220) and later restored in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), this thirteen-story tower soars to a height of 47.31 meters, featuring an octagonal plan. The tower is adorned with tri-colored glaze in yellow, green, and blue, creating a splendid and vibrant spectacle. Elaborate wooden square blocks and intricately carved designs of Buddha, Bodhisattvas, guardian warriors, flowers, birds, and animals adorn the eaves and pillars. Corridors encircle the first story, while the towerās interior houses only the stairs leading to the tenth floor, showcasing remarkable architectural and artistic prowess.
Western Paradise of the Buddha Amitabha
- Title Translation: éæ弄éä½č„æę¹ęä¹äøē
- Period: Northern Qi, 550-577 C.E.
- Project: Xiangtangshan Caves
- Work Description: High relief carving of Western Paradise. Amitabha presides over a lotus pond that contains flowers opening to reveal newborn souls. Numerous deities and celestial attendants fill in the tableau.
Fragment of Guanyin of Eleven Heads
- Title Translation: åäøé¢č§é³ę®ē
- Period: Tang, 703 C.E.
- Project: Guangzhai Temple Qibaotai Pagoda
- Work Description: In relief, within a recess; lower part, from knees downward, missing, and minor injuries.
The Buddha AmitÄbha with Two Attendants in a Niche
- Title Translation: éæ弄éäøå°ä½é¾
- Period: Tang, 703 C.E.
- Project: Guangzhai Temple Qibaotai Pagoda
The Buddha AmitÄbha with Two Attendants in a Niche
- Title Translation: éæ弄éäøå°ä½é¾
- Period: Tang, 703 C.E.
- Project: Guangzhai Temple Qibaotai Pagoda
Longmen Binyang Central Cave, northeast wall, showing removed donors relief ("Emperor Xiaowen and his entourage worshipping the Buddha")
- Title Translation: é¾éØ宾é³äøę“ , äøåå£ļ¼ęč¢«ęé¤ēę½äø»ęµ®éļ¼āåęåøäøč”ē¤¼ä½āļ¼
- Period: Northern Wei, 386ā534 C.E.
- Project: Longmen Binyang Central Cave
- Work Description: Together with a companion piece showing an empress and her attendants (now in the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City), this depiction of an emperor and his entourage once adorned the Central Binyang Cave (also known as Cave 3) in the Longmen complex, near Luoyang, in Henan province. It was positioned centrally on the northeast wall between a group of protective semidivinities above and a narrative debate scene below. Xuanwu commissioned the construction of the Central Binyang Cave in honor of his father, the emperor Xiaowen (r. 471ā99), and his mother, the dowager Wenzhou (d. 494); the emperor and empress in the reliefs are therefore believed to refer to his parents. A figure wearing court garments and holding a tasseled baton leads the procession. He is followed by a smaller figure wearing armor and another who stands before the emperor, holding an incense burner. The trees originally indicated the point at which the procession moved around a corner, from the north to the east wall. Several of the attendants hold lotuses or other flowers and offerings, and the entire procession can be understood as making offerings to the Buddhas in the cave, an act of merit making that would continue in perpetuity and improve the future lives of the participants.
Longmen Binyang Central Cave, west wall
- Title Translation: é¾éØ宾é³äøę“ , č„æå£
- Period: Northern Wei, 386ā534 C.E.
- Project: Longmen Binyang Central Cave
- Work Description: The Longmen Caves are located outside the city of Luoyang, China, about 500 miles southeast of the modern-day capital in Beijing. Established in the late fifth century, the site consists of 2,345 caves, and over 100,000 individual Buddhist statues, ranging in height from a few inches to over 56 feet. For more than 250 years, Chinese Buddhists from all walks of life sponsored the addition of Buddhist statues and inscriptions to the site, most significantly from the late Northern Wei (386-534) through the Tang dynasty (618-907). Binyang Central Cave is one of the earliest at Longmen and a major monument of Chinese Buddhism. Begun around the year 501, it was commissioned by the youthful Emperor Xuanwu (483-515) and dedicated to his father, Emperor Xiaowen, who died in 499 at age thirty-three. The cave is one of the major monuments of Chinese Buddhism. MEasuring roughly 30 feet in each dimension, its principal image is 28-foot-high seated Buddha largly filling the back of the cave and accompanied by smaller standing figuresādisciples, Buddhas, and bodhisattvaāon either side. The exit wall contained some of the finest stone relief carvings of the era, including depictions of two imperial processions, and a number of stories from Buddhist scriptures. After cave-making was discontinued for nearly a thousand years, the Longmen site was "discovered" by foreign scholars in the late 1800s. The publication of their studies with photos attracted international attention to the artistic quality of the sculptures. The publications ultimately led to the looting of much of the site in the early part of the twentieth century. In response to demand from art dealers, collectors, and museums around the globe, local stonecutters removed countless works from the caves, often breaking them into numerous fragments in the process. Pieces from the greater Longmen complex can now be found scattered throughout the world. In Binyang Central Cave, several heads and large portions of the relief carvings were cut or burned out of the walls. Fragments from Binyang Central Cave now reside in museums in the US and Japan, as well as in storage at the Longmen Research Institute in China. Many shattered pieces are identifiable today with the evidence of historical photographs and rubbings taken of the reliefs before their removal.
Longmen Binyang Central Cave, north wall
- Title Translation: é¾éØ宾é³äøę“ , åå£
- Period: Northern Wei, 386ā534 C.E.
- Project: Longmen Binyang Central Cave
- Work Description: The Longmen Caves are located outside the city of Luoyang, China, about 500 miles southeast of the modern-day capital in Beijing. Established in the late fifth century, the site consists of 2,345 caves, and over 100,000 individual Buddhist statues, ranging in height from a few inches to over 56 feet. For more than 250 years, Chinese Buddhists from all walks of life sponsored the addition of Buddhist statues and inscriptions to the site, most significantly from the late Northern Wei (386-534) through the Tang dynasty (618-907). Binyang Central Cave is one of the earliest at Longmen and a major monument of Chinese Buddhism. Begun around the year 501, it was commissioned by the youthful Emperor Xuanwu (483-515) and dedicated to his father, Emperor Xiaowen, who died in 499 at age thirty-three. The cave is one of the major monuments of Chinese Buddhism. MEasuring roughly 30 feet in each dimension, its principal image is 28-foot-high seated Buddha largly filling the back of the cave and accompanied by smaller standing figuresādisciples, Buddhas, and bodhisattvaāon either side. The exit wall contained some of the finest stone relief carvings of the era, including depictions of two imperial processions, and a number of stories from Buddhist scriptures. After cave-making was discontinued for nearly a thousand years, the Longmen site was "discovered" by foreign scholars in the late 1800s. The publication of their studies with photos attracted international attention to the artistic quality of the sculptures. The publications ultimately led to the looting of much of the site in the early part of the twentieth century. In response to demand from art dealers, collectors, and museums around the globe, local stonecutters removed countless works from the caves, often breaking them into numerous fragments in the process. Pieces from the greater Longmen complex can now be found scattered throughout the world. In Binyang Central Cave, several heads and large portions of the relief carvings were cut or burned out of the walls. Fragments from Binyang Central Cave now reside in museums in the US and Japan, as well as in storage at the Longmen Research Institute in China. Many shattered pieces are identifiable today with the evidence of historical photographs and rubbings taken of the reliefs before their removal.
Longmen Binyang Central Cave, northeast wall, showing removed donors relief ("Emperor Xiaowen and his entourage worshipping the Buddha")
- Title Translation: é¾éØ宾é³äøę“ , äøåå£ļ¼ęč¢«ęé¤ēę½äø»ęµ®éļ¼āåęåøäøč”ē¤¼ä½āļ¼
- Period: Northern Wei, 386ā534 C.E.
- Project: Longmen Binyang Central Cave
- Work Description: Together with a companion piece showing an empress and her attendants (now in the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City), this depiction of an emperor and his entourage once adorned the Central Binyang Cave (also known as Cave 3) in the Longmen complex, near Luoyang, in Henan province. It was positioned centrally on the northeast wall between a group of protective semidivinities above and a narrative debate scene below. Xuanwu commissioned the construction of the Central Binyang Cave in honor of his father, the emperor Xiaowen (r. 471ā99), and his mother, the dowager Wenzhou (d. 494); the emperor and empress in the reliefs are therefore believed to refer to his parents. A figure wearing court garments and holding a tasseled baton leads the procession. He is followed by a smaller figure wearing armor and another who stands before the emperor, holding an incense burner. The trees originally indicated the point at which the procession moved around a corner, from the north to the east wall. Several of the attendants hold lotuses or other flowers and offerings, and the entire procession can be understood as making offerings to the Buddhas in the cave, an act of merit making that would continue in perpetuity and improve the future lives of the participants.
Longmen Binyang Central Cave, south east corner
- Title Translation: é¾éØ宾é³äøę“ , äøåč§
- Period: Northern Wei, 386ā534 C.E.
- Project: Longmen Binyang Central Cave
- Work Description: The Longmen Caves are located outside the city of Luoyang, China, about 500 miles southeast of the modern-day capital in Beijing. Established in the late fifth century, the site consists of 2,345 caves, and over 100,000 individual Buddhist statues, ranging in height from a few inches to over 56 feet. For more than 250 years, Chinese Buddhists from all walks of life sponsored the addition of Buddhist statues and inscriptions to the site, most significantly from the late Northern Wei (386-534) through the Tang dynasty (618-907). Binyang Central Cave is one of the earliest at Longmen and a major monument of Chinese Buddhism. Begun around the year 501, it was commissioned by the youthful Emperor Xuanwu (483-515) and dedicated to his father, Emperor Xiaowen, who died in 499 at age thirty-three. The cave is one of the major monuments of Chinese Buddhism. MEasuring roughly 30 feet in each dimension, its principal image is 28-foot-high seated Buddha largly filling the back of the cave and accompanied by smaller standing figuresādisciples, Buddhas, and bodhisattvaāon either side. The exit wall contained some of the finest stone relief carvings of the era, including depictions of two imperial processions, and a number of stories from Buddhist scriptures. After cave-making was discontinued for nearly a thousand years, the Longmen site was "discovered" by foreign scholars in the late 1800s. The publication of their studies with photos attracted international attention to the artistic quality of the sculptures. The publications ultimately led to the looting of much of the site in the early part of the twentieth century. In response to demand from art dealers, collectors, and museums around the globe, local stonecutters removed countless works from the caves, often breaking them into numerous fragments in the process. Pieces from the greater Longmen complex can now be found scattered throughout the world. In Binyang Central Cave, several heads and large portions of the relief carvings were cut or burned out of the walls. Fragments from Binyang Central Cave now reside in museums in the US and Japan, as well as in storage at the Longmen Research Institute in China. Many shattered pieces are identifiable today with the evidence of historical photographs and rubbings taken of the reliefs before their removal.